Underpads are an essential item for medical facilities, nursing homes, and home health care. Also known as chux pads or bed pads, underpads provide absorption and protection for beds, chairs, and other surfaces. This comprehensive guide covers everything you need to know about underpad selection, uses, and best practices.
What Are Underpads?
Underpads are constructed of absorbent layers designed to protect beds, furniture and other surfaces. The top layer is typically made of non-woven fabric or plastic film, while inner layers contain fluff pulp, tissue wadding, or polymer crystals to absorb moisture. Waterproof vinyl or polyethylene backs prevent liquid from soaking through.
Underpads by China Underpad factory, come in disposable and reusable options. Disposable pads are lightweight and thin for one-time use. Reusable underpads feature more absorbent padding and durable construction for repeated laundering. Pads come in sizes ranging from 17″x24″ up to 36″x72″ for placement beneath the full body.
Key Underpad Uses
Underpads from China Underpad supplier serve a range of important functions across medical, residential and commercial settings:
• Managing incontinence – Absorb urinary or bowel leakage to keep beds and chairs dry. Underpads allow independence and dignity for incontinence sufferers.
• Preventing bedsores – Reduce skin maceration by absorbing moisture and reducing friction. Frequent repositioning is also required.
• Containing wounds – Protect bandages from strike-through. Absorb exudate and maintain moisture balance optimal for wound healing.
• Caring for the elderly and immobile – Boost comfort and hygiene for those unable to control their eliminations. Limit linens changing.
• Protecting surfaces – Shield mattresses, sofas, carpets, and more from spills, accidents, and other messes. Easy pad removal contains the damage.
Choosing The Best Underpads From China Underpad Supplier
Your chosen underpads manage messes thoroughly while keeping clients comfortable. With myriad underpad options on the market, keep these factors in mind when selecting products:
• Absorbency – Check fluid capacity in ounces per pad and absorbency rate. Select pads that keep up with needs.
• Materials – Covertops that feel dry against skin prevent discomfort. Leak-proof vinyl or polyethylene backs stop strike-through.
• Size – Measure furniture and allow at least 2” coverage on all sides. Bigger sizes prevent leakage at edges.
• Odor control – Activated charcoal and other technologies help neutralize odors. This boosts freshness and discretion.
• Durability – Hospital-grade pads stand up to repeat use and laundering. Avoid pills, tears or degraded absorbency over time.
• Sustainability – Seek biodegradable, eco-friendly materials like plant-based top layers and pulp interior padding.
Underpad Use And Placement Best Practices
• Place pads beneath the hips, trunk, and any other area likely to have an episode. Having to reposition is disruptive.
• For beds, tuck underpads beneath fitted sheets to hold them in place. Or opt for pads with elasticized or mesh grippers.
• When using pads on couches or chairs, replace after each use. This contains smells and prevents residue transfer.
• Choose rectangular pads for placement along the length of the body. Square pads are ideal for wheelchairs and geri-chairs.
• For added protection, boost absorbency with multiple layers of underpads in particularly wet areas.
• Never let underpads from China Underpad manufacturer bunch up. Wrinkles lead to gaps that could allow leaking onto surfaces.
• Discard and replace saturated reusable underpads after a single use. Laundering does not restore full absorbency.